Last updated Aug. 21 2019 | 2 min read
Dog Health : 5 Natural Ways To Increase Your Puppy’s Energy Levels
Does your puppy have the attention span of a two-year-old child? And does he seem a little too fatigued and tired throughout the day? If you have already taken your dog to the veterinarian for a full examination and he checks out okay, you may want to take it upon yourself to help increase his energy levels and attention span by going the ‘natural’ route.
Of course animal medicines do have their place, but if your veterinarian does not see a major health problem then your best choice is to follow some of the guidelines below to get your puppy feeling better and acting more alert:
1. As long as your puppy is more than six weeks old, try reducing his feeding times to only twice per day. In an attempt to keep our puppies growing and healthy, some dog owners make the mistake of overfeeding the little pups, which can result in lethargic energy levels as well as very short attention spans. You can help your puppy by cutting back on his meals.
2. Check the food labels and be sure that the food you are feeding your puppy has a complete digestibility level of at least 85% to 90%.
3. Protein is a very important nutrient for good health and energy in dogs. Unfortunately, many dog foods sold in stores are made up of mostly carbohydrates. Dogs need meat and lots of protein to be at their best. This is especially true of young puppies. So be sure that each meal has a high level protein source when feeding your puppy.
4. As far as supplements are concerned, is always smart to first check with your veterinarian. But we have a recommendation that may help your dog and that is to supplement his food with brewers yeast. Brewers yeast is chock full of B vitamins and protein.
5. Last but not least, the latest trend in supplements for both people and animals are omega-3 fatty acids. But there is good reason for this popular trend and that is because these oils are extremely healthy and are known to raise concentration levels in dogs as well as create a healthy shine on their coat. You can find omega-3 fatty acids in fish oils and flaxseed oils.